Digital technology is quickly revolutionizing our world, and dentistry is no exception to this phenomenon. At Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry, we proudly offer digital x-rays, making your dental visits faster and more comfortable. Thanks to this advanced technology, Dr. Vlachakis can obtain much clearer images than she could with traditional x-rays, enabling her to make early diagnoses and create effective treatment plans for your needs.
What Are Digital X-Rays?
Digital x-rays use advanced technology to obtain clear images of your teeth, jaw, and skull. There are two types of digital x-rays:
- Intraoral x-rays: This is the most common type of dental x-ray. Dr. Vlachakis will place the x-ray device in your mouth, and it will give her a detailed view of your individual teeth, as well as the surrounding bone and dental roots. These x-rays are most frequently used to look for cavities, observe teeth that have not yet erupted, and check jawbone health.
- Extraoral x-rays: By placing the x-ray device outside your mouth, the dentist can obtain a comprehensive view of your jaw and skull. Although these images are not as detailed as those from intraoral x-rays, they are invaluable in diagnosing and treating impacted teeth, malocclusion, TMJ, and similar craniofacial disorders.
The Benefits of Digital X-Rays
Digital technology gives newer x-rays a number of advantages over older film-based x-rays. These benefits include:
- Sharper images: Digital images are more precise and easy to read than traditional film x-rays.
- No radiation exposure: Although a single dental x-ray will not cause any harm, a lifetime of exposure to x-rays may cause cell damage and an increased risk for cancer.
- Personalized dentistry: Digital images can easily be sent to an exam room computer. Using these images, Dr. Vlachakis can explain your dental health, and you can make more informed decisions about your dental treatments.
- Easier diagnosis: Not only are the digital images very clear and precise, they can also be magnified much more than film x-rays. Thanks to this technology, Dr. Vlachakis can detect the earliest signs of decay, jawbone degeneration, and other conditions. Then she can create a personalized treatment plant to target your specific symptoms.
Learn More About Digital X-Rays
Learn more about how digital X-rays provide safer, more accurate diagnostic results. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Vlachakis, call Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry today at (281) 974-4494. Located in Memorial City Plaza, we proudly serve the residents of Houston, Memorial City, Bunker Hill, West Beltway, City Center, Hedwig Village, and all surrounding communities.