TMJ Disorder can have far-reaching consequences for your total oral and physical wellness. At Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry, we offer various treatment options, including the ground-breaking TruDenta® system. After a complete analysis and diagnosis, Dr. Vlachakis will work with you to determine the right treatment option for your particular needs.
What Is TMJ?
Your temporomandibular joints are the complex hinges that allow your jaw to open and close and to move side to side. You use these joints countless times a day, often unconsciously. This means that they come under tremendous pressure, which is exacerbated if you suffer from bruxism or dental alignment issues. Eventually this pressure can lead to inflammation of the surrounding muscles and ligaments. It can also cause the soft cushioning discs to slip out of place, putting further pressure on the joints. Symptoms of TMJ include:
- Jaw and facial pain
- Radiating pain in the neck and shoulders
- Loss of range of motion
- Stiffness in the jaw
- A popping or clicking noise
Traditional Treatments for TMJ
There are a number of established treatments for this condition. They include:
- Mouth guards: Occlusal splints can realign your jaw and prevent you from grinding your teeth. Dr. Vlachakis can provide a custom-made mouth guard, which you will primarily wear while you sleep.
- Stress relief: Like many people, you may grind your teeth because of anxiety. Learning to manage your stress can alleviate your bruxism, TMJ, and a number of other stress-related health conditions.
- Medication: Anti-inflammatory medications and pain relievers can reduce the symptoms of TMJ. However, they are typically combined with other treatment that targets the underlying causes of TMJ.
- Dental work: If your TMJ is caused by a misaligned bite, braces or a retainer may be the most effective treatment for you. Dr. Vlachakis will be happy to refer you to a local orthodontist. She can also perform restorative treatment to replace missing teeth and improve the structure of your bite.
The Revolutionary TruDenta® System
In addition to these more common remedies, we also proudly offer TruDenta, a comprehensive diagnostic and treatment method that addresses the foundational causes of your TMJ. Dr. Vlachakis will first perform a thorough evaluation, including a Tekscan® for bite analysis, a range of motion test, and muscle palpitations. Using the information gathered in these tests, she will develop your personalized treatment plan. A combination of in-office and take-home treatments will reprogram your brain chemistry and retrain your muscles to function properly. This unique, FDA-approved treatment can provide effective, long-term relief for TMJ, as well as related headaches, and bruxism.
Find Relief from TMJ Disorder
With innovative technology like TruDenta®, we can help you find permanent relief from chronic TMJ discomfort. To schedule an examination, call Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry today at (281) 974-4494. Located in Memorial City Plaza, we proudly serve the residents of Houston, Memorial City, Bunker Hill, West Beltway, City Center, Hedwig Village, and all surrounding communities.